Hurricane season 2015 has arrived – are you prepared? We put together five hurricane season preparedness tips to get you started:
- Know the lingo. Do you know the difference between a watch and a warning? A storm surge and an eye wall? Do the research now – not when a storm is headed for your home.
- Plan. Then plan more. Use checklists and create a comprehensive written plan now. Share it with the family and discuss all aspects of it. Having a plan ready to execute makes stressful times less scary.
- Is your home safe? Three big areas to look at: flood risks, home risks, and outdoor/environmental risks. Know where danger might come from so you can head it off at the pass.
- Weather the storm. It’s always, always, always better to evacuate. There are no gold medals for surviving hurricanes. If evacuation isn’t an option: Don’t underestimate the power of the storm. Don’t overlook flood concerns. Get out if you can (we can’t emphasize that enough). Protect your home. Follow all safety regulations.
- After the storm. Check for leaks and clean up as much water as you can. Get textiles out into the sun to prevent mold. Turn it over to the experts if there’s too much water or too much damage.
Want more detailed preparedness information? Check out CGI’s micro site at www.HurricanePreparednessTips.com. Feeling prepared? Take the quiz and see for yourself. Hurricanes are serious business, friends. Plan ahead and take care of yourselves. You’re important to us.